I finally and successfully built a Mac using normal PC hardware. Here is how I did it:
- Intel BOXDG43GT LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $84.99
- This particular motherboard took 800mhz DDR2 memory, mine has 2gb
- I already had an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz processor. Any Core 2 Duo should do (775 socket)
- Nvidia GeForce 7200 GS 128mb (An old card I had lying around). The idea here is that Apple put the 7300GT in the Mac Pro and the 7200/7300 are basically the same chip. Seems GS GT doesn’t matter too much, I have Quartz/GL enabled so it is fully supported (get osx86tools app for this).
- Western Digital SATA 500GB. Any SATA drive will do.
- For audio I used VoodoHDA.kext and the accompanying preference panel.
- For Video I used Natit.kext and NVEnabler.kext and NVInject.kext
Network (ethernet), SATA, USB, and everything else work automatically. Get “OSx86 Tools Utility” to enable Quartz GL and as a great tool for installing Kexts because it does the permissioning and copying for you.
I used a purchased retail OS X 10.6 disk so it is running the default Mach kernel. You will need an efi bootloader like Psystar’s DUBL a.k.a. Rebel EFI to be able to boot off of the Mac DVD.