It's starting to look like a bench. I got it screwed in and installed a board underneath to limit how far it can be pulled out. This really is a "1000 pound kid bed". I can stand on any point and there is no hint as to the limit it can hold. Maybe I built it too well.
Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Saturday, July 9, 2016
I am building the couch/dinette/bed area. I started building an L shaped couch and then started over with just a single bench along the wall of the trailer. There will be a long table accessible from both ends of the bench.
Fail. L shaped couch produces a really stubby end.
Tuesday, July 5, 2016
Got the oven installed. Got the fridge installed. Hooked up all the propane lines for the appliances. Tested the new water heater. Tested the fridge. Tested the furnace. Everything works! Time for the first trip of 2016. We had a great time and it was nice that out trailer was more than just a tent with a toilet. We figured out how to get both small dutch ovens into the oven to cook dinner.
Tuesday, June 28, 2016
We really like the look of butcher block countertops. The easiest way to get them was to buy from Ikea. I had to cut a few inches off the back but it was a perfect length. I used the sink as a template for the cutout and subtracted 1/2" from that. I drilled holes for the sink bolts but found out later they weren't long enough to put the nuts on under the countertop. I haven't found a solution yet so the sink is just siliconed in.
I used the sink as a a template and measured .5" from the outside edge and marked a cut line with the square. I tried to leave as much surface to support the sink as possible.
Saturday, June 25, 2016
I built the sink vanity. I used the original height of the vanity and measured an appropriate distance from the toilet to make the space feel comfortable. The countertop behind the toilet is mounted on a hinge so you can lift it up so you can store things.
I used this pool and spa vacuum hose to replace the filler tube to the water tank. I found out later you can get original filler tube from a trailer supply store. Oh well, it worked.
Tuesday, June 21, 2016
The largest window in the trailer was broken on the bottom. It was also bent and missing a piece. We weighed all of the options including a custom aluminum window mean for RVs or trailers. The size of the window does not match anything available for purchase. The trailer was built with square custom windows. We were unwilling to pay $500 for a window so we eventually ventured into a custom window shop and found a shallow flush mounted vinyl window that was good enough for our trailer. It cost $145. I decided to mount it from the inside of the frame instead of screwing through the flange. I put butyl tape and ProFlex caulking under the flange before I placed the window in the opening. I tried to pull the window in as much as possible before screwing it in place.
It turned out pretty good. The screen will actually be on the outside of the window. This worries me a bit so we'll see how it turns out.
Monday, June 20, 2016
Here's a bit of the process I used to build the closet and cut the plywood face for the closet. I used cardboard and painters tape to create a template to use to outline the plywood for cutting. I built the closet with two shelves. The shelves are split into two pieces so that they can all be removed from the closet to gain access to the water tank if necessary. I used a multi-tool and a rotozip with drywall bits to cut out the plywood face perfectly around the 2x2 framing.